Friday, October 2, 2009

How to make a checkout operator SQUIRM

For some time now, particularly as a former Mystery Shopper, I have been wondering how these Supermarkets, which are now charging for their plastic bags, are getting around the whole putting Raw meats in plastic bags rule - hmmmm?

So today whilst buying steak for dinner I thought I would voice my query. It went something like this:
(this was just after she had inquired as to whether I would like a plastic bag and I had said 'Yes').

Me: Sooooo.....I've just been sort of wondering....how it is that Supermarkets are getting around this - aren't you supposed to put Raw Meats in a separate plastic bag? Because I used to be a Mystery Shopper (check out girl became VERY noticeably visibly nervous at this point) and that was one of the things we had to check for...
Visibly Nervous Checkout Girl: Uhhhhhh,.... I don't know, uhhhhhh.....

It was QUITE enjoyable to watch.

However I believe that quite possibly responding to a random checkout person's attempts to engage in overly zealous unnatural conversation with mirrored crazy person enthusiasm might also have the same effect. Quite possibly.

PS - In the end I had to take the meat back cos it STUNK and was clearly rotten - Chris said I had to do it because I am better at being mean, nasty and rude to people than him : P

2 comments:

Angela said...

I plastic bag my own meat in the meat dept...and I delight in the fact that that bag is freeeeeeeeee. I think the provision of the freebies there is how they cover their...eh...bums.

Ana said...

I looked for freebies last week when shopping - I saw none. Only tissues. I wonder who Mystery shops Pak'n'Save...